I am so excited to share this post with you today! This step-by-step shark cupcakes tutorial comes from my awesome and talented friend, Aurelie, from Sweet Elizabeth. When she’s not tending to her family in rural Michigan, including husband Chris and their new little bundle of inspiration Jude, Aurelie spends her time making beautiful treats like these! She gets her inspiration from her French grandmother (for whom her site and business, Sweet Elizabeth, is named) and her mother. As she puts it, “baking is in my blood!” Whether mini-cupcakes or towering tiers, for family birthdays or lavish weddings, you can see her passion for baking special treats to brighten someone’s day come through – just like her grandmother’s kitchen always did for her.
Howdy La Casa de Sweets readers! Thanks to the lovely Jackie, I have the pleasure of sharing my first guest post with all of you! Did you know it was Shark Week a couple weeks ago? I sure did! To share my excitement, I decided to make shark cupcakes. But I didn’t just stop at shark cupcakes. Oh no! I decided to make shark cookies to use as toppers for my cupcakes. Two goodies rolled into one! You’ll be dying to take a bite out of these sweet cupcakes. And the best part is: you don’t need any special cookie cutters at all, these are made from ordinary cookie cutters! To make these you’ll need:
- Rolled cookie dough
- Football (or other oval) cookie cutter
- Star cookie cutter
- Craft Picks or Lollipop Sticks
- Royal icing in white, gray, red, and black
- Piping bags
- Tips #3 and #2
- Buttercream tinted blue
1. Start by cutting out the football shape.
2. Use the tip of your star cutter to cut out the shark’s mouth.
3. Use a knife to square off the tapered end.
Gently insert a pick into the bottom of the shark. This will make your cookies more like cupcake toppers. I used Woodsies Craft Picks (they were the perfect size for the cupcakes ) but you can also use lollipop sticks – just make sure that the sticks are on the small side.
That leaves you with the rough outline of a man-eater! Once your cookies are baked, it’s time to decorate them.
1. Use the white royal icing and tip #3 to outline the right side of the shark.
2. Flood the white outline. Let it dry for 15-30 minutes.
3. Use the gray royal icing and tip #3 to outline the left side of the shark. Flood the gray outline.
And now to add the finishing touches!
1. Use the red royal icing and tip #3 to draw a thin line for the shark’s mouth. Let it dry for 15 minutes.
2. Use the black royal icing and tip #2 to pipe an eye and a nose on the shark.
3. Use the gray royal icing and tip #2 to pipe gills.
4. Use the white royal icing and tip #2 to pipe the shark’s teeth.
Now all you have to do is make some cupcakes and use your spatula to spread the buttercream on like waves.
Place the cookie topper into the cupcake and voila! A mouthwatering shark cupcake!
Enjoy! Want to know how to make the fin cupcake toppers? Stop by the Sweet Elizabeth blog for a Shark Fin Cupcake tutorial and other great goodies!