Posted by Jackie on Feb 21, 2013
Monkey munch. Puppy chow. Muddy buddies. I don’t know what you’re used to calling this phenomenal can’t-stop-eating-this mixture of Chex cereal, chocolate and (usually) peanut butter. Whatever you call it, it’s good. I remember the first time my lil sis made this for me, I literally could not stop eating it by the handful (thanks, Rach!). This is one of those things you can snack on at any time of day, and it’s a great treat to share with friends, so it’s especially good for a movie night. Which means it’s perfect for Oscar Night! (By the way, have you printed out your Oscar ballot? Go Argo!!)
Although the beloved chocolate-peanut butter combination is always welcome at our house, for this recipe I decided to change things up a bit and use flavors from everyone’s favorite multi-layered cookie: magic bars. You know, crushed graham cracker topped with sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and shredded coconut. Who doesn’t love that?!
So I combined these two classic desserts to create a perfectly sweet mix of Chex cereal, chocolate, butterscotch and coconut, all coated with powdered sugar. Easy to make, and definitely easy to eat…
Magic bars + monkey munch = the perfect movie (or Oscar) night treat!
Magic Bar Monkey Munch
Serves 4-6 people
- 10 cups Chex corn cereal
- 3 cups chocolate chips, divided
- 2 cups butterscotch chips
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper, and set aside.
- In a very large bowl, gently mix together the Chex cereal, 2 cups of chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and shredded coconut. Set aside.
- Place the remaining 1 cup of chocolate chips, sweetened condensed milk and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, stir, then microwave for another minute. Stir until the chocolate and butter have melted completely.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal mix, and use a large spoon or spatula to mix the sauce and cereal mix together until the cereal is coated with the chocolate sauce.
- Once the Chex mix is coated, divide the cereal between two large plastic freezer bags. Pour 2 cups of powdered sugar into one of the bags, seal it, and shake the bag until the monkey munch mix has been covered in powdered sugar. Pour the monkey munch out onto the wax paper-lined baking sheet, and repeat with the other bag.
- Let cool for half an hour, then store in the refrigerator before enjoying!
Original recipe by La Casa de Sweets