Posted by Jackie on Jul 24, 2013
Pesto is one of my husband's favorite things to make, and eat. He's always requesting pesto dishes, and now that we have an herb garden overflowing with fresh basil, pesto is a great way to use it all!
This, however, isn't your regular everyday pesto. I decided to branch out and change things up a bit by adding avocado and walnuts. The avocado makes this the creamiest pesto you'll ever have, and the walnuts give it a great nutty flavor. Throw in some fresh basil, olive oil and lemon juice, and you're pretty much set.
Oh, and did I mention this is cheese-free, so no one at your table will have anything to complain about!
As if anyone could complain about pesto...
Avocado Walnut Pesto
Makes about 2 cups (enough for 1 lb of pasta)
- 1 cup basil
- 2 avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Blend until well-combined and smooth.
- Pour into a glass jar, cover, and refrigerate if not using immediately.
- If using right away, stir pesto with 1 pound cooked pasta, and enjoy!
- Store any unused pesto in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Original recipe by La Casa de Sweets