Posted by Jackie on Dec 11, 2012
This month, for the second year in a row, I participated in the Annual Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap. Any food blogger can participate, and we all get paired up with 3 different food bloggers from around the country, and we send each other cookies. It's like Secret Santa for food bloggers! This year, all the food bloggers who participated in the cookie swap also donated to Cookies for Kids Cancer, so we all enjoyed yummy cookies and did it all for a great cause.
When the time came to decide on this year's holiday cookie swap cookie, I wanted to make something different, something bright and refreshing, so I made all my cookie swap friends Iced Lemon Cookies. They are super lemony, soft, and glazed for a double dose of lemon.
Go ahead and let some sunshine into your Christmas baking!
Iced Lemon CookiesMakes 3 dozen cookies Ingredients: Cookies
- 1/4 cup lemon zest
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Juice of 4 lemons
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Optional: Sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 350°, and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat together the lemon zest and sugar for 2 minutes, to release the lemon flavors.
- On medium-high speed, beat in the butter until well-combined and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until each is fully incorporated.
- Beat in the lemon juice, and mix until well-combined.
- On low, mix in the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Use a cookie scoop to measure out the dough by the tablespoon onto the lined baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 12 minutes, rotating the sheets halfway through, until the cookies are set and no longer shiny.
- Cool the cookies completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest until combined and no lumps remain.
- Dip each cooled cookie into the glaze, and top with sprinkles, if using.
- Let the cookies set for at least an hour before enjoying.
Original recipe by La Casa de Sweets