Posted by Jackie on Apr 11, 2012
You all know how much I love the combination of orange and chocolate, but this really takes the cake (pun intended!). You’ve got orange juice and orange zest for flavor, buttermilk to make it light, and chocolate chunks for decadence.
I have to warn you that your house will smell so good while baking this cake, it might be difficult to wait until it cools to have a slice. But, wait you will, because if you do, you can cut a piece, sit down with a warm cup of tea or a tall glass of milk, and eat your way to a few minutes of orange and chocolate happiness.
Pound cake is so comforting, isn’t it?
Orange Chocolate Chunk Pound Cake
- 3 cups flour (plus 2 or 3 tablespoons for the chocolate chunks)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- Orange zest from 4 large oranges
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and grease and flour a bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the orange juice, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- In another bowl, toss the chocolate chunks with a few tablespoons of flour.
- In the bowl of your mixer, beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the orange zest.
- On low speed, add in the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the buttermilk-orange mixture, mixing until combined after each addition.
- Still on low speed, mix in the chocolate chunks tossed in flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bundt pan, and bake at 350 degrees until a toothpick comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes.
- Once done, cool the cake pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Turn the cake out onto the wire rack, and cool completely before enjoying!