Posted by Jackie on Jan 26, 2012
- Small, chocolate and coconut coated, jam-filled pound cake squares.
- Australia's best kept secret.
- Highly addictive.
Bite-size pound cake squares covered in chocolate. There's really nothing that can go wrong when you put chocolate on pound cake. Add some sweet jam and coconut, and it's pretty much a done deal. You don't even need to do a whole lot of work to make these, either, especially if you use store-bought pound cake.
The great thing about Lamingtons is their size. They're small, bite-size little cakes, which means you can eat a lot of them. Even though they're filled with a thin layer of jam, and covered in chocolate, they're not too sweet. So, yeah, go ahead and have a few...
- 1 pound cake (store-bought or homemade), frozen and cubed
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Take one pound cake cube at a time, and slice it in half with a bread knife. Spread a dot of jam onto the bottom half of the pound cake square. Place the top half on top, and squeeze lightly to join the two. Place the jam-filled square on the lined cookie sheet.
- Repeat this process until all the pound cake cubes have been cut in half, filled with jam, and placed on the cookie sheet.
- Place the cookie sheets in the freezer for 1 hour.
- While the cakes are in the freezer, make the chocolate glaze. In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt the butter.
- Add the cocoa powder, and stir until dissolved.
- Add the powdered sugar, alternating with the milk, stirring until combined.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla.
- Take the frozen squares out of the freezer. Fill a small bowl with the coconut.
- Using a fork, dip each square into the warm chocolate glaze. Quickly dip the square into the coconut, rolling it around until it's covered. Repeat until all the squares have been coated in the chocolate and coconut.
- Refrigerate the Lamingtons for at least 1 hour, and enjoy!